Canberra United were forced to settle for their third draw of the season after a tough end to end encounter away to Western Sydney Wanderers at Wanderers Football Park. A first half goal from Olivia Price was cancelled out by United’s Vesna Milivojevic’s strike ten minutes from the break.

It was a cagey start to the game as both sides battled for possession but neither was really able to put themselves firmly in control.

The first real chance of the match came five minutes in as Wanderers’ Sophie Harding tried her luck from range, her effort sailing over the goal.

United replied with their own attempt as Michelle Heyman got on the end of a Milivojevic free-kick from out wide but could only direct her header straight at Sham Khamis in the Wanderers goal.

United had another great chance to take the lead Nickoletta Flannery got on the end of a through ball from Milivojevic but had her shot pushed out for a corner by Khamis.

Just as it looked like United were starting to take control of the match, Wanderers found themselves in front thanks to a goal from former United player Olivia Price. Getting on the end of Harding cross, Price converted first time to give the hosts the lead.

It took United just ten minutes to find a reply as Milivojevic scored a goal of the season contender to draw scores level.

New Zealand international Grace Jale sent in a perfectly hit ball towards Milivojevic, with the midfielder using her initial touch to get past the defender before sending the ball flying into the top corner past Khamis.

Wanderers came close to a second, with Sarina Bolden getting in behind the defence but would be denied by a quality save from United shot-stopper Keeley Richards.

United came close on multiple occasions in the final minutes of the half as Heyman and Flannery threatened the goal.

There were chances aplenty at both ends, with Flannery and Heyman again threatening the goal often.

Wanderers had a great chance to retake the lead only to be denied by a last ditch effort from Hayley Taylor-Young to get the ball away from danger.

Milivojevic had the chance for a second, lobbing the ball over Khamis only to be denied on the line by Malia Steinmetz.

A late free-kick was not enough for United to take all three points, as Grace Maher’s effort bounced back off the crossbar before Ellie Brush would head the ball into the arms of Khamis.

That would be one of the final chances of the match, finishing in a one-all draw after an end to end encounter.