Academy | Week 5 Wrap


First Grade |

Canberra United Academy 6 (Molly Lawless 16’, Sasha Grove 26’, 78’, Emily Jensen 32’, Hayley Taylor-Young 81’, Isabel Mulhall 90+1’) def. Tuggeranong United 0

The Canberra United Academy maintained their winning streak in the league with a 6-0 victory over Tuggeranong United at Hawker Football Centre.

The Academy got on the board early as Hayley Taylor-Young stole the ball from a defender and raced down the wing before squaring the ball to Molly Lawless who fired just inside the near post.

They had their second as the ball was bundled over the line from close range by Sasha Grove and six minutes following it was Emily Jensen’s turn to score just after the half hour mark.

Tuggeranong suffered a further blow at the break as English forward Alice Linn was substituted with a quad injury, but United did well to halt the flow of the Academy as they kept them scoreless early through the second half.

They could only hold out for so long though, and Sasha Grove was played through with a long ball in the 78th and she had time to slow down and convert to push the lead to four. Taylor-Young got a goal of her own as the clock ticked past the 80th minute and there was one more in the bag as Isabel Mulhall converted during stoppage time.


Reserves |

Canberra United Academy 13 def. Tuggeranong United 0


U/17’s |

Canberra United Academy 9 def. Tuggeranong United 0


U/15’s |

Canberra United Academy 1 drew. Tuggeranong United 1

Contributed by Tony Choy

CUA started as they began last round by playing some attractive football using the width of the field.  However, a couple of clear cut chances were wastefully spurned and Tuggeranong would have felt pleased with having held the Academy scoreless at HT despite being largely dominated. 

Even during the first half some worrying decision making by the Academy across the park began to crop up.  The second half again saw the Academy apply the pressure and the deadlock was finally broken with a goal mouth scramble giving the hosts the lead. 

Unfortunately, poor first touches and inaccurate passing gave possession away to Tuggeranong giving them the opportunity to get back into the game.  Confidence in the Academy ranks started to wane and simple mistakes became more frequent. 

It was only a matter of time before one break too many saw the leaders unable to deal with the threat and Tuggeranong scored to level the match. 

From that point on both sides had their chances but neither team could put their nose in front.  Frustration by the Academy translated into trying to go straight through the middle rather than being patient and building up the attack from out wide. 

This was how the game ended – a stalemate, which Tuggeranong celebrated while the hosts will feel it was a game that they let slip away.