Canberra Dominates in final game at home

Canberra United has secured their first home win of the season in a dominating display against the Newcastle Jets.

Two goals from Michelle Heyman and one from Allira Toby was enough for Canberra to collect three points on a wet and rainy night at Viking Park.

For the second game running, Canberra dominated the first 45 minutes, taking care of their chances to be leading three goals to nil.

It was actually at the other end of the pitch where Canberra made their intentions known, when Chloe Lincoln showed real bravery diving down low to collect the ball off a Newcastle attackers foot in order to stop a golden opportunity for the visitors.

The young keeper’s courage inspired the rest of the team because minutes later Allira Toby challenged a Jets defender, winning the ball in the box and then converting past the goalkeeper to give Canberra an early lead.

The home side nearly had their second when Grace Maher let fly with her right foot and nearly caught the top corner.

When Canberra went searching for their second, it put Newcastle under all sorts of pressure. Eventually the Jets relented when from a Lauren Keir corner, Ally Haran headed it onto Michelle Heyman who nodded home from close range.

Then on the stroke of half-time the star striker and captain broke through before beating a couple of defenders and then slotting into the bottom corner to give Untied a three goal advantage at the break.

Canberra’s intensity didn’t drop off at the start of the second, winning every challenge and testing the opposition keeper with shots at goal from all around the box.

Coach Linton freshened up the side with a few changes at the hour mark and they nearly paid dividends straight away, when sub Margot Robinne played it through to fellow sub Holly Caspers. But the number nine’s shot was only able to go straight down the middle.

Chelsee Washington who came on at half-time nearly got her second in two games when her effort skidded off the pitch but it was met with a fine save. 

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA – FEBRUARY 25: Hayley Taylor-Young of Canberra United and Elizabeth Eddy of the Jets contest possession during the A-League Women’s match between Canberra United and Newcastle Jets at Viking Park, on February 25, 2022, in Canberra, Australia. (Photo by Mark Nolan/Getty Images)

The home team were determined for more goals in the final home game of the year and Michelle Heyman was as ever determined for her hat-trick and with 20 minutes to play she nearly had it. She burst through on the left hand side before driving in the box but her shot was saved by only the legs of the keeper.

United went for another goal late in the game but the Jets were able to hold on just enough to keep the score-line at 3-0.