City’s first half blitz knocks down United


A three goal first half from Melbourne City helped the reigning Champions to a convincing 3-0 win against Canberra United at AAMI Park on Saturday night that moved them up into fifth spot. 

The hosts started strong and took the lead just eight minutes in through a well-worked set piece.

Elise Kellond-Knight found Yukari Kinga with a short corner, and her cross found Dobson in the middle of the box to head into the net and give City the advantage.

United looked to play their way back into the game and began to control possession but struggled with the ball in the final third and allowed City to get out on the break.

Taren King picked up the game’s first card for bringing down Kinga on the break, while Ellie Carpenter and Karly Roestbakken were putting in tireless shifts on the flanks at both ends of the pitch.

City doubled their lead in the 36th minute as Tameka Butt found the ball way out from goal, and floated in a perfect cross for Kyah Simon to head past Sham Khamis and into the bottom corner.

It looked as though the hosts would take their two-goal lead into the break but in stoppage time Dobson turned inside her defender before breezing into the area and rifling an effort into the far corner of the goal.

That left City cruising with a three-goal load at the break, and Heather Garriock replaced Olivia Price with Rhoda Mulaudzi for the beginning of the second half as United looked to press.

The visitors came out strong and controlled plenty of possession but again struggled to make an impact going forward, and City came close on the counter throughout the half.

Butt struck the upright with a low drive after Jasmyne Spencer’s cross and came close with a number of other chances as time wound down.

Neither side could find the game’s fourth goal though and the final whistle blew, leaving United in seventh place ahead of a huge clash with Brisbane Roar at home on Thursday night.

You can buy tickets for Thursday’s clash now!