Heart stopping moments but no goals in Canberra v Melbourne

In their second last game of the season Canberra United drew to the Melbourne Victory in an end to end thriller at a scorching hot AAMI Park.

There were no goals on the day but plenty of chances and great saves as both teams gave their all to get a momentum building win.

The first-half was back and forth with neither team able to get the upper hand and score the opening goal even with a breadth of chances.

Canberra star young goalkeeper, Chloe Lincoln, was called upon early when she had to make a diving save after rushing out of her net to deny a Melbourne striker.

The away team’s first chance came 20 minutes into the game when Grace Maher started a counter attack by releasing Allira Toby. The forward saw the defenders backing off and decided to take a strike at goal but it wasn’t able to trouble the keeper.

Ten minutes later, Michelle Heyman had a great chance for her 7th goal of the season when she made a perfectly timed run to beat the offside trap and go one on one. Unfortunately, Casey Dumont was up for the challenge and made a nice stop to deny the United captain.

Just before half-time, the home side were close to being gifted the first goal when their corner nearly found its way directly into the Canberra goal but was denied by the post.  

Canberra were so close to scoring the first goal just five minutes into the second 45. Michelle Heyman went on a dazzling run where she beat multiple players before her shot was smothered by the Victory keeper. Although, the ball fell to sub, Margot Robinne, but her effort crashed against the woodwork.

With 20 minutes to play, Canberra launched another counter attack this time from a Melbourne corner. Holly Caspers played a well-timed ball through to Robinne who went on towards goal but Dumont came out strongly and forced a corner.

Canberra then had two chances in a minute, one for Heyman who displayed more slick dribbling before her left footed shot went down the middle of the goal. Then Chloe Middleton had a bending shot from just outside the box that barley went over the bar. 

In the 85th minute Melbourne Victory thought they had won the game after a bullet of a shot hit the post and fell back to an attacker who guided it in, but was judged to be offside and the game stayed goalless.

Both teams were going end to end in a chaotic finish to find that winning goal with chances going amiss. The referee eventually put a stop to one of the more exciting 0-0 you’ll ever see.