United share points at Spotless


Canberra United were held to an entertaining 2-2 draw by the Western Sydney Wanderers in the Westfield W-League at Spotless Stadium on Friday afternoon after leading twice.

All four goals came in the second half, with Ellie Carpenter scoring only for it to be cancelled out by Leena Khamis in her 100th match, and a Servet Uzunlar own goal that put United back ahead was countered by Kylie Ledbrook’s header.

A tight half saw few chances at both ends but Elizabeth Addo was proving dangerous for the Wanderers and Khamis had a big chance in her 100th as she was sent through towards goal.

Sister Sham raced out of her goal and the two collided outside the area with United’s Khamis receiving a yellow card.

Leena stayed down for some treatment before Lo’eau LaBonta smashed the free-kick against the frame of goal as it looked destined for the top corner.

With the teams locked goalless after 45 minutes it was the visitors who came out of the break stronger and Carpenter gave her side the lead six minutes in.

Jada Whyman raced out to punch a ball clear away from Rhoda Mulaudzi, and Carpenter chased down the loose ball and curled it home from a long way out as the Wanderers didn’t get back to the goal mouth.

14 minutes later though the Wanderers were back level as Addo danced through the United backline before squaring a ball for Khamis to volley home past her sister.

Sham Khamis’ long clearance in the 86th minute bounced over the top of the Wanderers backline and Mulaudzi chased it down hard, pressuring Uzunlar as the ball approached goal and the defender’s touch to clear the danger was out of Whyman’s reach and into the bottom corner of the net to give United a late lead.

But United switched off and almost immediately from kick-off the Wanderers broke down the wing through Georgia Yeoman-Dale and she delivered a cross from the left that found Kylie Ledbrook to tuck a header inside the near post and restore parity.

That set up some exciting final minutes with both teams looking for all three points but neither could find the winning goal.

Both teams have the bye in round seven before United travel to Melbourne the following weekend to take on Melbourne City thanks to JT Sports Tours.