Academy | Week 3 Wrap


First Grade |

Wagga City Wanderers 0 def. by Canberra United Academy 4 (Hayley Taylor-Young 50’, 79’, 87’, Sasha Grove 71’)

The Canberra United Academy picked up their second win in a row with a 4-0 defeat of Wagga City thanks in large part to a hat-trick from Hayley Taylor Young.

Neither side were able to make headway in the first 45 minutes of an even clash, but it took just a few minutes of the second half for Taylor-Young to continue her scoring form with a neat finish from a tight angle past the goalkeeper.

Shortly after Alexandra Hinson was forced into a save from Wagga City’s Tess Vaccari but the Academy extended their lead entering the final 20 minutes as the ball was cut back from the left to Sasha Grove to fire home.

Nine minutes later the lead was three when Taylor-Young headed home a free-kick for her second goal and she completed her hat-trick with five minutes remaining as the keeper spilt a cross and the forward was there to mop up the loose ball.

The win sees the Academy occupy second spot on the table heading into Easter, while Wagga remain in fifth place after two matches.


Reserves |

Wagga City Wanderers 0 def. by Canberra United Academy 6


U/17 |

Wagga City Wanderers 2 def. by Canberra United Academy 3


U15 |

Wagga City Wanderers 3 def. Canberra United Academy 0

Words by Tony Choy

A strong Canberra United Academy side came undone against the Wagga City Wanderers in the U/15’s at Gissing Oval in round three.

Wagga were on top in the first half and their forays down the right side were proving particularly damaging against the Academy backline, and it was a cross from that side that found Grace Goodyer at the back post for the Wanderers to open the scoring 22 minutes in.

Shortly after the Academy looked to counter but an effort on goal was easily saved, and the weight of pressure on the visiting defense showed moments later as a well-struck corner from Anisa Rees had the keeper in two minds and it snuck under the crossbar to double the Wanderers’ lead.

Another goal two minutes later made the half-time lead three goals, as Tootsie Lamb burst down the wing before finishing off the move herself.

While the scoreline could have ballooned late, the Academy competed well, finding purpose int heir attack although too often let down by hesitant decision making.

The final score stayed at 3-0, with Wagga City taking on Canberra FC next while the Academy will face Monaro.