Canberra United topple Glory for third win in a row


Three brilliant goals, including a screamer from 15-year old Amy Sayer have helped Canberra United to a third straight win and a share of first place in the Westfield W-League, with a 3-2 triumph over Perth Glory at McKellar Park. 

Grace Maher gave United the lead inside 20 minutes before Rachel Hill levelled on the stroke of half-time. Goals from Sayer and Laura Bassett in the second half were enough to see United over the line despite a late strike from Alexia Moreno.

The hosts started strongly and looked to create chances early, with Ashleigh Sykes in particular looking dangerous down the right side. Golden-boot leader Hill though was only a final ball away from causing trouble on a number of occasions, but it was United who broke through thanks to Maher.

The No. 10 dribbled across the top of the area before turning her defender inside out and firing a low effort into the corner of the goal.

Perth hit back on the stroke of the break, as Rachel Hill continued her Golden Boot leading form. The American raced onto a through ball before firing across Haley Kopmeyer and burying her effort in the side of the net to restore parity at half-time.

Perth came out of the blocks strong to begin the second stanza, with a number of free-kick opportunities causing trouble at the back for the hosts. Kopmeyer held up well under high balls though and was able to relieve trouble, and her side made the most of that with 31 minutes to go.

Maher nodded down a loose ball just outside the box which Maddy Whittall poked on, and Sayer struck it cleanly with her first touch to curl the ball over Melissa Maizels and into the back of the net from outside the area.

Sykes continued to cause issues and only a number of superb saves from Maizels kept her at bay as she buzzed around behind the visiting defence.

But just 10 minutes after Sayer’s goal it was Bassett’s turn, and she thundered home a bouncing ball from just inside the area to give Maizels no chance and United a two-goal buffer.

Perth refused to lie down and Hill forced the issue continually, but it was Moreno who pulled Bobby Despotovski’s side back into the match. 

A free kick in the midfield was floated in by Moreno, but the ball beat everyone in the box including Kopmeyer, and suddenly the hosts had a chance with just four minutes of time remaining.

They were unable to find an equaliser though, Hill coming closest as she fizzed an effort just over the crossbar, but United held on for a third straight win ahead of a visit from Brisbane Roar next Sunday.