Canberra United have started their season with a thrilling eight-goal draw with Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium.

It was a bright start for the team in green as Maria Cote Rojas sent Michelle Heyman through on goal with a wonderful through ball, but the striker was unable to convert.

There were chances aplenty at both ends as the sides traded blows in the opening ten minutes, however it would be the hosts to open the scoring. Alana Jancevski converted from the penalty spot, putting Canberra behind early on in the game.

As was often the case last season, Canberra switched would respond almost immediately and within a number of minutes, would find themselves level. Pouncing on an errant clearance from Annalee Grove in the Adelaide goal, Serbian International Vesna Milivojevic picked up where she left off from last season and brought Canberra level.

Canberra looked the better of the two sides, and proved so right before the break. With another mistake from the keeper letting Michelle Heyman get through on goal, with the veteran striker tapping home for her first goal of the season and 95th of her career.

It was a similar start to the second half, with Canberra looking the stronger of the two. Adelaide would find themselves level, with a second penalty of the afternoon as Mariah Lee converted from the spot.

Again showing that Canberra fight the team is famous for, Nickoletta Flannery stormed into the box and was brought down before absolutely smashing the ball home to restore Canberra’s lead.

Even though there had already been five goals up until this point, the game came to life. Hannah Blake levelled the scores for the hosts with a quality strike, but was outdone by Milivojevic two minutes later.

The Serbian International got on the scoresheet again, to have Canberra back in front with a little over 20 minutes to go.

Canberra hearts were broken in injury time as Adelaide found a last gasp equaliser through Emilia Murray. Milivojevic looked to have scored the winner moments later but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Canberra now turn their attention to a trip away to Melbourne City in Round Two.